Does Tim Exist/Am I a banana?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does Tim Exist/Am I a banana?

If you're reading this, the fuck you doin' on amiabanana? Fuck off.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site

Go down 
+2
Cracked Atlas
1337ness_of_teh_n00b
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
1337ness_of_teh_n00b
Admin
1337ness_of_teh_n00b

Number of posts : 1337
Registration date : 2007-05-17

Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site Empty
PostSubject: Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site   Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 7:23 pm

CURRENT RULESET

Immutable Rules

101: All players must always abide by all the rules then in effect, in the form in which they are then in effect. The rules in the Initial Set are in effect whenever a game begins. The Initial Set consists of Rules 101-116 (immutable) and 201-212 (mutable).

102: Initially rules in the 100's are immutable and rules in the 200's are mutable. Rules subsequently enacted or transmuted (that is, changed from immutable to mutable or vice versa) may be immutable or mutable regardless of their numbers, and rules in the Initial Set may be transmuted regardless of their numbers.

103: A rule-change is any of the following: (1) the enactment, repeal, or amendment of a mutable rule; (2) the enactment, repeal, or amendment of an amendment of a mutable rule; or (3) the transmutation of an immutable rule into a mutable rule or vice versa.

[NOTE: This definition implies that, at least initially, all new rules are mutable; immutable rules, as long as they are immutable, may not be amended or repealed; mutable rules, as long as they are mutable, may be amended or repealed; any rule of any status may be transmuted; no rule is absolutely immune to change.]

104: All rule-changes proposed in the proper way shall be voted on. They will be adopted if and only if they receive the required number of votes.

105: Every player is an eligible voter. Every eligible voter must participate in every vote on rule-changes.

106: All proposed rule-changes shall be written down before they are voted on. If they are adopted, they shall guide play in the form in which they were voted on. Proposals for rules should take the form 'I propose the following: "[rule]"'. Proposals for repeals should take the form 'I propose we repeal [rule number]'. Proposals for amendments should take the form 'I propose we amend [rule number] to "[amended rule]"'.

107: No rule-change may take effect earlier than the moment of the completion of the vote that adopted it, even if its wording explicitly states otherwise. No rule-change may have retroactive application.

108: Each proposed rule-change shall be given a number for reference. The numbers shall begin with 301, and each rule-change proposed in the proper way shall receive the next successive integer, whether or not the proposal is adopted.

If a rule is repealed and re-enacted, it receives the number of the proposal to re-enact it. If a rule is amended or transmuted, it receives the number of the proposal to amend or transmute it. If an amendment is amended or repealed, the entire rule of which it is a part receives the number of the proposal to amend or repeal the amendment.

109: Rule-changes that transmute immutable rules into mutable rules may be adopted if and only if the vote is unanimous among the eligible voters. Transmutation shall not be implied, but must be stated explicitly in a proposal to take effect.

110: In a conflict between a mutable and an immutable rule, the immutable rule takes precedence and the mutable rule shall be entirely void. For the purposes of this rule a proposal to transmute an immutable rule does not "conflict" with that immutable rule.

111: If a rule-change as proposed is unclear, ambiguous, paradoxical, or destructive of play, or if it arguably consists of two or more rule-changes compounded or is an amendment that makes no difference, or if it is otherwise of questionable value, then the other players may suggest amendments or argue against the proposal before the vote. A reasonable time must be allowed for this debate. The proponent decides the final form in which the proposal is to be voted on and, unless the Judge has been asked to do so, also decides the time to end debate and vote. [This rule is somewhat subjective -- see rule 211 for resolution -- Ed].

112: The state of affairs that constitutes winning may not be altered from achieving n points to any other state of affairs. The magnitude of n and the means of earning points may be changed, and rules that establish a winner when play cannot continue may be enacted and (while they are mutable) be amended or repealed.

113: A player always has the option to forfeit the game rather than continue to play or incur a game penalty. No penalty worse than losing, in the judgment of the player to incur it, may be imposed.

114: There must always be at least one mutable rule. The adoption of rule-changes must never become completely impermissible.

115: Rule-changes that affect rules needed to allow or apply rule-changes are as permissible as other rule-changes. Even rule-changes that amend or repeal their own authority are permissible. No rule-change or type of move is impermissible solely on account of the self-reference or self-application of a rule.

116: Whatever is not prohibited or regulated by a rule is permitted and unregulated, with the sole exception of changing the rules, which is permitted only when a rule or set of rules explicitly or implicitly permits it.

Mutable Rules

201: Players shall alternate in alphabetical order by surname, taking one whole turn apiece. Turns may not be skipped or passed, and parts of turns may not be omitted. All players begin with zero points.

202: One turn consists of two parts in this order: (1) proposing one rule-change and having it voted on, and (2) subtracting 291 from the ordinal number of their proposal and multiply the result by the fraction of favorable votes it received, rounded to the nearest integer. (This yields a number between 0 and 10 for the first player, with the upper limit increasing by one each turn; more points are awarded for more popular proposals.)

203: A rule-change is adopted if and only if the vote is unanimous among the eligible voters. If this rule is not amended by the end of the second complete circuit of turns, it automatically changes to require only a simple majority.

204: If and when rule-changes can be adopted without unanimity, the players who vote against winning proposals shall receive 10 points each.

205: An adopted rule-change takes full effect at the moment of the completion of the vote that adopted it.

206: When a proposed rule-change is defeated, the player who proposed it loses 10 points.

207: Each player always has exactly one vote.

208: The winner is the first player to achieve 200 (positive) points.

209: At no time may there be more than 25 mutable rules.

210: If two or more mutable rules conflict with one another, or if two or more immutable rules conflict with one another, then the rule with the lowest ordinal number takes precedence.

If at least one of the rules in conflict explicitly says of itself that it defers to another rule (or type of rule) or takes precedence over another rule (or type of rule), then such provisions shall supersede the numerical method for determining precedence.

If two or more rules claim to take precedence over one another or to defer to one another, then the numerical method again governs.

211: If players disagree about the legality of a move or the interpretation or application of a rule, then the player preceding the one moving is to be the Judge and decide the question. Disagreement for the purposes of this rule may be created by the insistence of any player. This process is called invoking Judgment.

When Judgment has been invoked, the next player may not begin his or her turn without the consent of a majority of the other players.

The Judge's Judgment may be overruled only by a unanimous vote of the other players taken before the next turn is begun. If a Judge's Judgment is overruled, then the player preceding the Judge in the playing order becomes the new Judge for the question, and so on, except that no player is to be Judge during his or her own turn or during the turn of a team-mate.

Unless a Judge is overruled, one Judge settles all questions arising from the game until the next turn is begun, including questions as to his or her own legitimacy and jurisdiction as Judge.

New Judges are not bound by the decisions of old Judges. New Judges may, however, settle only those questions on which the players currently disagree and that affect the completion of the turn in which Judgment was invoked. All decisions by Judges shall be in accordance with all the rules then in effect; but when the rules are silent, inconsistent, or unclear on the point at issue, then the Judge shall consider game-custom and the spirit of the game before applying other standards.

212: If the rules are changed so that further play is impossible, or if the legality of a move cannot be determined with finality, or if by the Judge's best reasoning, not overruled, a move appears equally legal and illegal, then the first player unable to complete a turn is the winner.

This rule takes precedence over every other rule determining the winner

New Rules, Mutable Unless Otherwise Noted

301: No player may edit their own post or the post of another player, except for 1337ness_of_teh_n00b who may edit his initial post in the thread so that it contains the current ruleset at all times. He may not edit his or anyone else's posts under any other circumstances.

303: When player is caught breaking one of the rules, he or she forfeits their next turn. If a player is caught breaking a rule before their forfeited turn has passed, they forfeit their ability to vote on rule changes until their forfeited turn has passed. If a player breaking a rule before a their forfeited tun has passed, and they have already forfeited their ability to vote, they are immediately disqualified from the game. This rule takes precedence over any other rule governing the ability to vote and to conduct one's turn. Breaking Rule 101 incurs no penalty of any sort from this Rule (303)

306: If a player makes a significant contribution to a proposed rule, and the amended rule is then adopted, then the player who suggested the amendment receives points equal to 50% of the points received by the player who proposed the rule. If a player males a significant contribution to a proposed rule, and the rule is rejected they lose 50% of the points lost by the player who proposed the rule. A reworded preposal is considered to have a significant contribution when the reworded proposal has 50% more, or greater, words than the original proposal.

When comparing two proposals to determine if the change counts as 'significant', there are two ways to determine differences -- one, each word in the same numerical position as each other that are different from each other count as one word different; two, each word not in the original proposal that is in the updated proposal in between consecutive words that were in the original count as one word different. The method which yields the lowest difference should be used, and the percentage should be measured by the original proposal.

308: If a player does not post to acknowledge his/her turn within 48 hours of the previous player's turn ending, and they have not given any notification of their absence, then they will be prodded. If the player still does not post within another 24 hours, their turn will be skipped. Furthermore, a player who's turn is skipped due to this rule will lose points equal to the number of points that they would have lost if they had made a proposal during the skipped turn, and it was rejected after getting 0 votes to adopt.

The previous player's turn is officially over, in the context of this rule, when every player has voted on that player's proposal, the proposal has been officially adopted/rejected, and a score count has been posted that reflects this.

BEFORE WE BEGIN:

Quote :
201: Players shall alternate in alphabetical order by surname, taking one whole turn apiece. Turns may not be skipped or passed, and parts of turns may not be omitted. All players begin with zero points.

Are we following this literally, or are we going by screen name?

Last edited by 1337ness_of_teh_n00b on Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:59 pm; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://amiabanana.forumotion.com
Cracked Atlas
His Sexcellency
Cracked Atlas

Number of posts : 1174
Registration date : 2007-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site   Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 8:33 pm

Probably smart to go by screen name. In which case turn order you be you, Beese, me and then Navarre.
Back to top Go down
1337ness_of_teh_n00b
Admin
1337ness_of_teh_n00b

PostSubject: Re: Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site   Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 10:53 pm

I think I'll wait for Beese and Navarre to weigh in before proceeding with my turn.
Back to top Go down
Navarre

Navarre

Number of posts : 272
Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site   Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 12:03 am

Im fine with that as i want to see how this works but in the future may i suggest rng? Because without rng you would always go first and i would be close to last
Back to top Go down
1337ness_of_teh_n00b
Admin
1337ness_of_teh_n00b

PostSubject: Re: Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site   Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 8:37 am

*waiting for Beese to weigh in*

We do have dice, so it's a possible.

*amused that we're discussing the rules of a rule-changing game*
Back to top Go down
Navarre

Navarre

PostSubject: Re: Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site   Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 2:42 pm

also peter i believe that it should be normic? not nimic?
Back to top Go down
Cracked Atlas
His Sexcellency
Cracked Atlas

PostSubject: Re: Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site   Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 3:36 pm

Also Robert I believe it should be Nomic? Not Normic?
Back to top Go down
1337ness_of_teh_n00b
Admin
1337ness_of_teh_n00b

PostSubject: Re: Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site   Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 7:47 pm

Yeah, I miswrote the thread title, and I don't really wanna go editing my posts in this thread. In fact, after this game, I'll probably edit the standard intial ruleset so as to ban post-editing, and to include Robert's RNG suggestion.

Well, 3/4 people have said I can go first, and I don't really wanna wait for Beese. Someone should prod him, or I will.

Anyway, now I'll actually have my turn.

Hmm, I just had an idea.

I propose the following: "301: No player may edit their own post or the post of another", let's get some integrity going.
Back to top Go down
1337ness_of_teh_n00b
Admin
1337ness_of_teh_n00b

PostSubject: Re: Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site   Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 7:47 pm

*goes change thread title before rule is passed*
Back to top Go down
1337ness_of_teh_n00b
Admin
1337ness_of_teh_n00b

PostSubject: Re: Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site   Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 7:49 pm

Sorry about triple post, but I figured I'd reword the rule slightly

"301: No player may edit their own post or the post of another player."
Back to top Go down
Cracked Atlas
His Sexcellency
Cracked Atlas

PostSubject: Re: Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site   Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 8:00 pm

I'd like to make a request. Could you (1337ness) edit your first post in this game to contain the current ruleset, and maintain that post will all changes to the ruleset? That way we havge a handy referance guide.

To comply with this, I suggest you reword Rule 301 to "No player may edit their own post or the post of another player, except for 1337ness_of_teh_n00b who may edit his initial post in the thread so that it contains the current ruleset at all times. He may not edit his or anyone else's posts under any other circumstances."
Back to top Go down
AcRv
The Traitor
AcRv

Number of posts : 478
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site   Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 8:13 pm

Yes, I like that.

The current proposal is "301: No player may edit their own post or the post of another player, except for 1337ness_of_teh_n00b who may edit his initial post in the thread so that it contains the current ruleset at all times. He may not edit his or anyone else's posts under any other circumstances."
Back to top Go down
Cracked Atlas
His Sexcellency
Cracked Atlas

PostSubject: Re: Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site   Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 8:15 pm

I'm assuming someone forgot to sign back in to their own account.
Back to top Go down
1337ness_of_teh_n00b
Admin
1337ness_of_teh_n00b

PostSubject: Re: Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site   Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 8:17 pm

Yeah, I confirm that was me *awkies*
Back to top Go down
Cracked Atlas
His Sexcellency
Cracked Atlas

PostSubject: Re: Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site   Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 8:33 pm

That being said and done, I vote to adopt Rule 301.
Back to top Go down
Melexiious
The Fabulous
Melexiious

Number of posts : 762

PostSubject: Re: Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site   Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 9:19 pm

I'm here, still clueless, I'll just follow on and hope to pick something up, adopt rule 301.
Back to top Go down
Navarre

Navarre

PostSubject: Re: Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site   Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 11:28 pm

Lets give this one to peter. Adopt rule 301
Back to top Go down
1337ness_of_teh_n00b
Admin
1337ness_of_teh_n00b

PostSubject: Re: Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site   Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 11:30 pm

Rad, ten points to me. I shall go edit the page one ruleset.

Beese's turn.
Back to top Go down
Navarre

Navarre

PostSubject: Re: Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site   Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 11:38 pm

Beese should consider posting more often

Last edited by Navarre on Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cracked Atlas
His Sexcellency
Cracked Atlas

PostSubject: Re: Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site   Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site Icon_minitimeSat Jan 21, 2012 8:03 am

Then I suggest you post that in the appropriate thread.
Back to top Go down
Cracked Atlas
His Sexcellency
Cracked Atlas

PostSubject: Re: Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site   Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site Icon_minitimeSat Jan 21, 2012 2:27 pm

Nevarre, you broke a rule with your last post. More specifically, you broke Rule 301: "No player may edit their own post or the post of another player, except for 1337ness_of_teh_n00b who may edit his initial post in the thread so that it contains the current ruleset at all times. He may not edit his or anyone else's posts under any other circumstances."

I'm not sureprised you managed to break a rule honestly, after all, you're you. I am however quite impressed that you managed to break a rule immediatly after it had taken effect. A rule which you just voted to adopt.

Back to top Go down
Melexiious
The Fabulous
Melexiious

Number of posts : 762

PostSubject: Re: Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site   Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 11:43 pm

Aww Sheet...

I guess I have to make a rule then, I seriously have no Idea! Al right... I propose the following rule "302: No Player is allowed to Insult, Swear, be Negative and/or cause grief to other players when they are not talking about rule proposals or discussions"

Just to make things more loving around here <3
Back to top Go down
Cracked Atlas
His Sexcellency
Cracked Atlas

PostSubject: Re: Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site   Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 11:28 am

Part of me understands where you're coming from. The other part of me doesn't want to give up the ability to insult Navarre.

I'll see how everyone else votes before making a desicion.
Back to top Go down
1337ness_of_teh_n00b
Admin
1337ness_of_teh_n00b

PostSubject: Re: Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site   Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 4:28 pm

I'm going to have to decline for a few reasons:

One, MafiaScum has been a terrible influence on my forum manners.
Two, any rule against personal attacks is incredibly subjective and open to interpretation -- some people will suggest terrible rules, and it's very hard not to point out that the rule is terrible without sounding insulting; it's quite hard to determine what is and isn't a violation.
Three, Navarre is in this game.

So, yeah, I oppose this rule change.
Back to top Go down
1337ness_of_teh_n00b
Admin
1337ness_of_teh_n00b

PostSubject: Re: Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site   Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 4:30 pm

Anyway, I love all of you regardless <3 I don't need a rule to remind me of this *ends cheesy mode*
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site   Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Vanilla Four Player; First Nomic On Site
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next